Explore Knowledge Articles
How to program a Pico remote with a Caséta device or the Lutron app
This article details the steps to pair and unpair a Pico remote to a Caséta switch and dimmer or the Lutron app.
This article is expected to take 10 minutes to complete.
Knowledge Article Contents:
Before You Begin
Before You Begin
If you are unsure if you have the correct Pico remote for your application, review The Pico Remote and its use in the Caséta System knowledge article for more info on the Pico remote.
One Pico remote can be paired to multiple Caséta devices for simultaneous control of all paired dimmers, switches, and shades. One Caséta switch or dimmer can be paired with up to 10 Pico remotes.
For independent control of Caséta devices, a Pico scene remote (PJ2-4B-GWH-P01) added to the Lutron app or a Pico 2 Group On/Off Controller (PJ2-4B-GWH-L21) would be needed.
Note: a “standalone” application refers to a scenario where a Pico remote is paired directly with a Caséta switch, dimmer, or shade and not through the Lutron app with the Caséta Smart Hub.
To Pair a Pico Remote to a Caséta Switch or Dimmer follow the steps below:
- Press and hold the bottom button (off) on your Caséta dimmer or switch until the LED indicator light(s) on the switch start blinking. Once the indicator lights start blinking, release the bottom button.
- Press and hold the bottom button (off) on the Pico remote until the lights that the dimmer or switch is controlling flash three times. Release the bottom button.
- Your Pico remote is now paired to your Caséta switch or dimmer! Repeat these steps to pair additional Pico remotes to the same switch or dimmer.
Note: The Pico remote and Caséta switch, or dimmer, should be within 30 feet of each other to reliably communicate.
To remove a Pico remote from a previously paired standalone device; the switch, dimmer, or shade that the Pico remote is paired to must be factory reset to remove the pairing.
To factory reset a Caséta switch or dimmer follow the steps in this video or follow the steps below:
- Quickly triple tap and then hold the top button of the Caséta dimmer or switch you wish to reset.
- Release the top button the second the indicator light(s) of the switch or dimmer start to blink or cycle up and down. Do not wait for them to stop blinking or cycling to release the top button.
- Immediately triple tap the top button of the switch or dimmer again, but this time do not hold. The indicator light(s) will blink or cycle again but this time slower.
- If the switch or dimmer was properly reset the load it is controlling will turn on and off 3 times.
Note: If you did not observe the lights turn on/off three times or see the indicator lights blink quickly after the first triple tap and slowly after the last triple tap, then the device did not reset. Repeat these steps as needed to factory reset your device.
Follow the steps below to add a Pico Remote to the Lutron app:
Note: The Settings screen is accessed by tapping the Settings icon in the top left corner of the home screen in the Lutron app.
- Tap on the Settings icon in the top left corner of the Lutron app.
- Select Add Device from the Settings list.
- Tap on Pico Remote.
- Choose the image that matches your Pico remote.
- Press and hold the bottom button on the Pico for at least 10 seconds until the LED indicator light starts blinking on the remote.
- Choose the Room the Pico will be located and tap Next in the top right corner.
- Choose whether this Pico remote will be controlling lights or shades and tap Next.
- Tap I am done adding devices.
- Once the system finishes programming (this may take a few minutes) test the Pico remote.
- You have successfully added a Pico remote to the Lutron app.
To remove a Pico remote from the Lutron app, follow the steps below:
- Tap on the icon of the Pico remote you wish to remove in the Lutron app.
- Select Edit Device at the bottom of the pop-up prompt.
- Tap on Delete Device.
- Tap Delete.
- You have successfully removed a Pico remote from the Lutron app.
Already paired your Pico but are unsure how to install it in your wallbox? Review the Mounting a Pico remote to a Wallbox Adapter article for assistance.
Need to change what your Pico is paired to or how it is programmed? Review the following articles: