Explore Knowledge Articles
Activation programming issues with a Caseta dimmer, switch, or shade to the Lutron app.
This article addresses some of the common reasons why a user cannot program a Caséta/RA2 Select device to the Lutron app and provides potential workarounds to resolve them.
This article is expected to take 10 minutes to complete.
Knowledge Article Contents:
Before You Begin
Before You Begin
If the indicator lights of your switch or dimmer do not light up, or it does not respond to button presses, confirm it is wired properly by reviewing the wiring diagrams, installation videos, or step-by-step instructions found at the Lutron Wiring Wizard.
If you have confirmed the Caséta switch or dimmer is wired correctly, make sure you are meeting the device’s minimum load requirements by reviewing pages 4 and 5 of the Caséta Load Controls specification submittal.
Follow the steps below if you see a “Device Not Supported” message in the Lutron app:
- Confirm the device you are adding to the app is the correct one for your system:
- Caséta dimmers, switches, and sensors can only be programmed to a Caséta Smart Hub.
- RA2 Select devices can only be programmed to a RA2 Select Main Repeater. (RR-SEL-REP2)
- Pico remotes can be programmed to either system.
- Serena shades can only be programmed to a Caséta system. They are compatible with either L-BDG2 or L-BDGPRO2 models of smart hubs.
- Triathlon, Sivoia QS, Palladiom Wire-Free and Palladiom Wireless shades can be programmed to either system. They are compatible with the Caséta Pro Smart Hub and the RA2 Select Main Repeater. They are not compatible with the standard Caséta Smart Hub.
- Check to see if there are any updates available for the Lutron app from your mobile device’s app store. If there are, download them to your device.
- Power cycle your Smart Hub or Main Repeater. This should force it to check for a firmware update.
Note: If the Lutron app, or your hub or main repeater’s firmware, is not up to date it may not support adding a new device to the system until it is updated. Power cycle the hub to force it to check in with the firmware server.
If your device’s indicator lights are blinking quickly (see Image 2.1) but the Lutron app does not advance to the “Room” screen (see image below), it is possible that the device is out of range of your smart hub or main repeater. Follow the steps below to remedy this issue:
- Confirm that the device you are adding is within RF range of the hub. If it is greater than 30 feet away (through walls or floors) move the hub so it is within range of the device you are adding.
Lutron PRO Tip: One Caséta Wireless Repeater (PD-REP-WH) and/or one Plug-in Lamp Dimmer (PD-3PCL-WH) can be added to a Caséta system to extend the RF signal.
- Add the device again in the Lutron app once the hub has been relocated, or a repeater or range extender has been added to the system.
If you are still unable to add the device, factory reset the dimmer, switch, or shade by following the steps below.
If your device has entered pairing mode (see image below), or has been paired to another device previously, but it will not add into the Lutron app it needs to be factory reset.
Caséta devices in pairing mode
Follow the steps below to reset your Caséta/RA2 Select dimmer or switch (the entire process should be completed in under 6 seconds):
- Quickly triple tap and then hold the ON or OFF button until the indicator light(s) on the device start flashing quickly.
- Immediately release the button and quickly triple tap it again but this time do not hold. The indicator lights will flash again but this time slowly.
Do not wait for the indicator light(s) to stop flashing as this process is time sensitive.
Lutron PRO Tip: Do not lift your finger from the button, simply release pressure and immediately start tapping to enter the next step of the factory reset process.
- Watch the lights that the switch or dimmer is controlling. If the reset was successful, the lights will turn on and off 3 times (or brighten and dim 3 times) then turn back on to full brightness.
Lutron PRO Tip: You may have to close out of the Lutron app completely to properly default your device. Make sure the app is not running in the background of your device.
- Add the device again in the Lutron app. If you are having difficulty resetting the switch or dimmer, pull the tab out that is beneath the off button of the device and push it back in to power cycle the unit. Then attempt another reset.
If you are still unable to add the device, continue to the “Connect the device to the correct hub” section below.
Confirm you are connected to the proper smart hub by double-checking the following:
- Your smart hub is within range (30 ft.) of the device you are adding.
- You have successfully reset your Caséta/RA2 Select device to its factory default.
- None of the existing paired devices in your system are blinking slowly when in Add Device mode in the Lutron app. (see image below)
Caséta devices blinking slowly when in Add Device in the Lutron app
- Confirm you are connected to the right hub before adding your device:
- Tap on the Homes icon in the top-right hand corner of the Lutron app.
- A drop-down menu will appear to display multiple homes. The home with a checkmark next to it is the one you are currently connected to.
- Tap on the correct home for the device you are adding.
- Add the device again in the Lutron app.
If you have recently replaced your smart hub, you will have to add the new hub to your Lutron app prior to adding your device. Follow the steps below to add another hub:
- Tap on the Settings icon in the top left-hand corner of the Lutron app.
- Next, select Account and tap on Add Home.
- Follow the on-screen steps to activate your smart hub.
- Add the device to the new hub after it is activated.
If you no longer need access to the old hub, delete it from your Lutron app by switching to the previous home. Then, in the Settings of the Lutron app, tap on Edit Home and select Remove System from Account.
If you are still unable to add the device, continue to the “Fix LED incompatibility issues” section.
If you have completed the troubleshooting steps in this article and still cannot add your Caséta/RA2 Select dimmer to the Lutron app, it is possible an LED incompatibility is preventing the device from pairing.
- Swap one of the LED lights out for an incandescent bulb or for a compatible LED from the Lutron LED Finder Tool available here: lutron.com/ledfinder. If you cannot change the bulb or fixture, swap the switch or dimmer to a different circuit and test to see if the issue follows the dimmer or stays with the lights.
- Add the device to the Lutron app once a new bulb is installed or it has been connected to a different lighting load.
If you are still unable to add your device, please contact Lutron Technical Support at the bottom of this page.
Is your device more than 30 feet from your smart hub? Review “How to extend the RF range of the Caséta Hub” for more information on expanding signal range.
Got a new replacement hub and need help setting it up? Review “How to replace a Caséta Hub or RA2 Select Main Repeater” for assistance.