Explore Knowledge Articles
How to extend the RF range of the Caseta Hub (formerly Bridge)
This article will help you to understand how to extend the wireless RF signal range of the Caséta Smart Hub with the use of the Caséta Repeater PD-REP-WH and the Caséta Plug-in Lamp Dimmer PD-3PCL.
This article is expected to take 5 minutes to complete.
Knowledge Article Contents:
Before You Begin
Before You Begin
If you are experiencing any of the following issues, you may need to add an RF signal extender to your system:
- A brand new Caséta dimmer or switch will not add to the app..
- The device status in the app does not match what the physical appearance of the light shows.
- For example, the Lutron app may show the light is "On" however when you view the light it is actually off.
- Schedules that worked before now work intermittently or no longer activate at all.
- You receive a message in the app that the device is no longer communicating with the system.
Diagram of RF range in a Caséta system with a PD-REP wireless repeater and PD-3PCL acting as a range extender
The RF range of the Caséta Hub is 30 feet in all directions. In some homes there are devices that will extend beyond this range. A Caséta Repeater or Plug-in Lamp dimmer will be needed to extend the range of the system to accommodate those devices. There are 2 products that you can add to your Caséta system to extend the range of the RF signal:
Note: Only the first Caséta Plug-in Lamp dimmer added to a system will act as a range extender and only one Caséta Wireless repeater can be added to a system.
Angled view of the PD-3PCL Caséta Plug-in Lamp Dimmer
The plug-in lamp dimmer must be plugged in within 30ft of the Caséta Smart Hub or Caséta Wireless Repeater and can add up to 30 ft of range to your system (see Figure 1 above).
- Only one Caséta Plug-in lamp dimmer can be used as a range extender in a Caséta system. All Plug-in dimmers count towards the 75 device system limit.
- The first PD-3PCL added to the system automatically becomes the range extender. If you plan to have more than 1 plug-in dimmer, make sure that you take this into consideration when determining the location of your devices.
If you have more than one PD-3PCL in your system follow the steps below to determine which unit is acting as the range extender:
- Open the Lutron app
- Tap on the Settings icon in the top left corner
- Tap on Advanced
- Tap on Range Extender
- The name of the device acting as the extender will be displayed on this screen.
If you wish to change the device acting as the range extender there are two options.
1. Switch the locations of the current Plug-in Lamp Dimmer acting as the range extender with another Plug-in Lamp Dimmer and then edit the device names in the Lutron App.
2. Delete the current Plug-in Lamp Dimmer acting as the range extender from the Lutron app. The next PD-3PCL unit added to the app will then become the range extender.
Angled view of the PD-REP Caséta Wireless Repeater
- The Caséta Wireless repeater extends the range of Radio Frequency (RF) signals sent from the Smart Hub to the Caséta devices.
- The wireless repeater can communicate with Caséta devices within 30 ft (9 m), covering an area of approximately 2500 ft2, and can be placed up to 60 ft (18 m) from the Lutron hub.
- Easily adds to an existing system through the Lutron app.
- Only one wireless repeater can be added per system and the device counts towards the 75 device system limit.
- Only works with Caséta Wireless systems
Note: The Caséta Smart Hub and Caséta Wireless Repeater must be within a 60 foot range of each other. The Caséta Plug-in Lamp Dimmer that is acting as the range extender must be within a 30 foot range of either the Caséta Smart Hub or the Caséta Wireless Repeater to extend the systems range. See the first image in this article for reference.