Explore Knowledge Articles
Smart Hub (formerly known as Smart Bridge) Set-up & Troubleshooting
This article details the steps needed to set up and activate a new or replacement Caséta Wireless Smart Hub.
This article is expected to take 15 minutes to complete.
Knowledge Article Contents:
Before You Begin
Before You Begin
Before activating your Caséta Smart Hub, have the following available:
- The Caséta Smart Hub, an ethernet cable, and micro-USB power adapter (both are included with the hub).
- An iOS or Android device running the latest version of the Lutron App.
- A new or existing Lutron account (created in the app).
- An active internet connection.
- A wireless router connected to your network.
If you no longer have access to your existing Caséta system, and are connected to the same network as the smart hub, please view the Reestablishing Connection to your Caséta Smart Hub article for troubleshooting steps to resolve your hub’s connection issue.
If you are not replacing an existing hub and are instead adding another hub to an existing account, review the How do I add another Caséta Smart Hub to my system article.
Choose an option below that best describes your application.
Follow the steps below to properly setup and activate your new Caséta Smart Hub:
- Connect the smart hub to an available LAN port on your wireless router or gateway using the included ethernet cable.
Note: If the smart hub is connected to a network switch be sure to use an unmanaged network switch to ensure full communication between your network and the smart hub.
- Connect the smart hub to power using the included power adapter.
When the hub powers on, it will check for available updates. If the light bar in the center of the hub moves in a circular, carousel like, pattern that means it is updating. Wait for the hub to complete the update process before continuing. If the light bar does not illuminate try another outlet, micro-USB cable, and power adapter.
- Open the Lutron app and follow the on-screen prompts in the app to discover your Caséta hub.
First, confirm that your device running the Lutron app is connected to the same network that the Caséta Smart Hub is plugged into. The Lutron app will then begin the hub discovery process.
If the app returns either error message below, your smart hub and mobile device may be connected to different networks or required permissions have not been enabled on your device.
- Confirm your mobile device and the smart hub are on the same network (and not a guest network or different bands like 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz).
- If the hub is connected to a network switch or access point, disconnect it from its current device and plug it directly into a LAN port on your router then try discovering it again.
If the Lutron app displays the error message above prompting you to enter your hub's IP address, follow the steps below to locate your smart hub's IP address:
- Tap the button on the back of the hub once the Lutron app discovers your smart hub (it will prompt you to press the button when ready).
- Name your home in the Lutron app once it has automatically connected to your Caséta Smart Hub. After you have entered a name tap Next.
- Optional: Setup the Apple HomeKit integration by entering the HomeKit code printed on the bottom of the Smart Hub. To skip this step, choose Not Now or Setup Later.
For more information on setting up HomeKit with Caséta review Integrating Apple HomeKit with the Lutron App.
Before activating your replacement smart hub, unlink your Lutron account from the existing smart hub. To do this, first open the Lutron app from your smartphone or tablet.
If the Lutron app returns a “Connection Failed Cannot connect to your Lutron System” error message, wait for the app to finish and follow the steps below.
- Tap on the Settings icon in the top left-hand corner of the Lutron app.
- Select Edit Home from the Settings list.
- Tap Remove System from Account.
- Select Remove Account when prompted to unlink your Lutron account from the previous smart hub.
You have successfully removed the previous hub from your Lutron account.
If the Lutron app returns the “Cannot connect to hub, would you like to attempt force removal?” message seen below, select Remove Account to force remove this hub from your Lutron account.
If the force removal is unsuccessful, please contact Lutron Technical Support at email@example.com with one of the following pieces of information:
- Attach a clear photo of the sticker on the bottom of the previous smart hub to this support email request with a request to deregister this hub.
- Send the support request from the email address that is currently linked to the smart hub with a request to deregister this hub.
Activate the new replacement hub by following the steps below:
- Tap on the Settings icon in the Lutron app.
- Select Account from the Settings list.
- Tap on Add Home.
- Follow the steps in Setting up a New Caséta Smart Hub to complete setup of your new hub.
- You have successfully activated a replacement Caséta Smart Hub.
Before you can activate the Caséta Smart Hub in your new home, first download the Lutron app on your iOS or Android smartphone (or tablet) and create a new Homeowner account by completing the fields on the account creation screen.
Once you are logged in to the Lutron app, complete the steps in Setting up a new Caséta Smart Hub above. When you get to the screen below that states "This Lutron system already has another account" select Confirm to override the previous homeowner’s account with your new account.
You have now taken over access to the Caséta Smart Hub from the previous homeowner!
Previously programmed devices, scenes, and schedules will remain intact. Any previously linked third party integrations will be removed from the system.
If you are adding another hub to an existing account (and not replacing an existing hub), review the How do I add another Caséta Smart Hub to my system article for help setting up multiple smart hubs in the Lutron app.