Explore Knowledge Articles
Troubleshooting Obstructions on Lutron Serena and Triathlon Honeycomb Shades
This article details troubleshooting obstructions on Lutron Serena and Triathlon honeycomb shades.
This article is expected to take less than 5 minutes to complete.
Knowledge Article Contents:
Before You Begin
Before You Begin
The obstruction blink code occurs when the shade senses issues with the movement of the fabric panel. This can be caused by the following:
- Manual operation of the shade.
- Limits being set too tight.
- Tangled/broken strings.
Inspect your honeycomb shade for obstructions to the fabric and/or bottom bar. If the shade is rubbing or catching on anything, adjust the shade to prevent it from striking the object.
After confirming there is nothing obstructing the shade, follow the steps below to continue troubleshooting.
If your shade strikes another object or is manually manipulated, it must be returned to factory default to clear the error code.
Watch the video or follow the step-by-step instructions below to factory default your shade:
To factory default your shade, follow the steps below:
- Locate the shade’s Indicator Light (IL) button.
- Tap the shade button quickly 3 times and hold the button after the third tap until the IL blinks green rapidly.
- Immediately release and tap the shade button quickly 3 more times. Do not hold. The shade button will blink green rapidly then blink red/green 3 times and turn off. This indicates a successful factory default.
Important: Factory defaulting will remove the shade from any previously paired remotes or systems. The shade must be added back to the prior system or paired with the previous remote. Factory defaulting does not affect the shade’s upper and lower limit settings.
When the Obstruction Blink Code occurs after opening the shade, the Open Limit is set too high. Click here for instructions on How to Reset Lutron Honeycomb Shade Settings Limits.
Reset the Open Shade Limit at least ¼” (.25 inches) / 0.6cm lower than the point where the button blinks.
Section 3: Inspect Shade Spools for Tangled Strings
Shade spool strings can tangle if the shade runs into an obstruction during motion. A shade has 2-4 spools.
Press the tab on the front of each tap and tilt the bracket of your honeycomb shade. Angle the shade forward to make the inside of the headrail visible.
Inspect all the spools for any tangled strings. If you have a tangled string, the following procedure is used to correct tangled cord spools in Honeycomb shades:
- Move the shade to the Open Limit.
- Tap the Shade Button. The Shade Button illuminates green.
- Press and hold the Open and Raise buttons on the assigned remote. The shade button flashes green and then stays on.
- Jog the shade towards the Closed position using the lower button while applying gentle, but firm, pressure downward to the bottom rail.
- Repeat this process until all cord is removed from the spool.
- Remove pressure from the bottom rail, then run the shade up to the Open position and re-inspect the cord in the spool.
If the strings are still tangled, or if the cord disengages from the spool during this process, please contact Lutron Technical Support.
Click here for more assistance with Lutron Shade Blink Code and Troubleshooting.